The new Chinese-financed line being built by ChinaRoad and Bridge Corporation is an extension of a cross-country railway being constructed between the Indian Ocean port of Mombasa and the capital Nairobi.
The two projects make up the first stage in a scheme that aims to extend to Uganda and other land-locked countries. The goal is to cut the cost of transport and boost trade, by replacing a slower, narrow-gauge line.
The project adds to a swathe of infrastructure deals in Africa won by Chinese firms. China has replaced the US and Europe as the main trading partner for many African countries and has bankrolled projects from infrastructure to energy as part of its growing commercial and diplomatic clout on a continent with some of the fastest-growing economies.
- Links: Engineering News
More in NewsRead More »
- Kenya: one million low cost houses to be constructed over the next five years
- Kenya aims to construct first nuclear power plant by 2027
- Large firms to enjoy cheaper night electricity in Kenya
- Kenya starts upgrade program to boost the construction industry
- Kenya set to build coast-to-centre highway to boost Africa trade