Highgate Mall in the South of Johannesburg is to be renamed Home of Africa and is expected to become a home and décor mall, creating over 2,000 jobs and accommodating 250 local and international brands after the revamp.
Home Africa Mall will become a hub for wholesale distribution of construction and home-related products. Mall management said this will boost the expansion and facilitation of trade between Africa and China.
Home of Africa MD, Nick Melrose, said the mall is the first of its kind in Africa and its unique offering will make a good value proposition to consumers and businesses.
“We had the benefit of converting Highgate Mall into this fantastic one stop for everyone. We have all home and décor products, from construction to home-related products,” he explained.
Muriel Chinoda, analyst and MD of Business Engine said the development of Home of Africa was positive as the traditional malls were losing steam.
“While the concept of speciality malls is new in SA, Dubai’s Deira area has been using he model for the last two decades with a lot of success,” says Chinoda.
The speciality mall model offers many benefits for both shoppers and shop owners. It is consumer-centric due to the convenience of location, ample parking, easy access and one-stop construction/home products experience.”
- Links: Construction Review
More in NewsRead More »
- 2016 FNB Business Excellence Awards
- City launches R88m project to fix potholes
- First phase of Fourways Mall renovation on track for mid-November completion
- Johannesburg among top cities in the world developing women entrepreneurs
- Housing in Southern Africa magazine shows it support for African Construction and Totally Concrete Expo